Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Slow Day At Flat Rock

"I'm not invested in why you have to make these particular rules of conscience sacred or any others. Where do you hope putting them on a pedestal will get you? Who do you want to impress that you're some special kind of person because you force yourself to kowtow to this cult-like mentality?"

I wrote the paragraph above in an e-mail response to a discussion group. Sometime the entire entry here comes from what starts out to be a reply to an e-mail group, but it never gets posted there. The people I find myself responding to don't even know I've written back.

It's not happening that way on the new e-mail discussion list I subscribed to. I haven't posted anything there. It's a group run by Apple supporting AppleScript, a scripting language for automating repetitive tasks on the applications that run on the Apple Operating System.

I get these posts from the group just like any other mailing list, and I read them through to see if they have any scripts I might find useful. If so, then I copy and paste them into the Script Editor that comes included with the Apple operating system to see if they'll compile and run. Most of them don't.

The software targets AppleScripts are designed to reach for are mostly different on each computer, because different users name the same sort of file or folder what they want to for personal reasons. AppleScript needs the exact name and the exact address for most scripts to work right.

AppleScript is supposed to work pretty good with PhotoShop, but you gotta have a copy of PhotoShop on your computer to have a target address for one of the scripts that show up in the discussion group posts to have a chance of the posted script working. I don't got PhotoShop installed or most of the other ridiculously expensive software that works well with Apple.

There are plenty of other applications that come free on a new Apple that AppleScript can be very useful with. Today I saved a script that fetched my IP numbers. It compiled and ran on my computer just like it showed up in the e-mail post. The script even drew up a small dialogue window that offered to retrieve either the internal IP number or the external IP number for the internet. I've never really needed to know those IP numbers, but if I ever do, I got a ready-made script to jump up and get them for me at the click of my mouse.

I seem fascinated a little by the idea of learning to cope with a system for thinking about things that don't hold no truck with careless syntax. What I've been reading about AppleScript is that it's one of the easier scripting languages to learn. I may be filtering for what I wanna see, but the writing style of the list members seems mighty neat and tidy. That's the idea of me studying and learning as much as I do. I think the side-effect of having to pay so much attention to syntax that It will help me to write better.