Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wizardry


As I watched this youtube video I became an instant convert to the type of sand-painting as it appears in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vOhf3OvRXKg

Here's another, and this guy is said to be the source from which the performer in the first video got the idea of doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEB4v3o-50

Watching the young woman create the images she brought forth made me think of all the sand paintings I've read about an seen in respect to Navajo and Tibetan sand paintings.

The info I have been exposed to about sand painting is that it's extemporaneously done in the full realization that what's being created will be swept away soon enow either deliberately by the artist or by the erosion of ti-me.

David sent me this link. He is one of the few master painters I know personally, and he was the first one I thought about when I realized what was going on. Freaking Capricorns are always trying to write they stuff in stone, when they should have been writing it in sand all along.

When I write that I don't they should stop doing the stuff they're doing, but rather doing sand-painting to access their own ideas about whats in there that they might wanna paint. I think it might just be a great way for any artistic type person to meditate. It's the only way David would meditate for any reason, and if he knew I thought it was a good idea (even though he did because he sent it to me) he'd never do it out of pure spite. Now, he can't do it. I've ruined his day. '-)

Yeah, I know I'm projecting and that I oughta take my own advice. I've already begun figuring out how to build the "light box" she's using to amaze me with. I have lots of large glass panes that could be used for this purpose. If I were a decent friend at all I'd build one for every artist friend I have and take it to their house. Especially musicians.

The way the linked artists swept away each scenario they spun into being even before they reached a defined end point was the most interesting aspect of this medium for me. Isn't that how life itself is? It also resolves the paradox of daily living by wiping away the past as it creates it.

Writing stuff in the same style as sand painting is what I attempt to do here in a vague way. I'm not trying to tell the truth or to say that any particular reference I use to imply a shadowy point is the God's own truth. I turn around and contradict myself as soon as I realize I've tried to work that mojo. Denial is the most powerful force I am is aware of, but I have to work it or it leaves no trace or clue that it's pulling strings behind the curtain. If I stop denying unity I lose consciousness and am no longer awake!